Wednesday, December 9, 2009

First Seven Steps: Educate Yourself

Even if you THINK you know how to run a small business, there will inevitably be something you DON'T know...and WON'T know, until you're faced with a situation that requires that knowledge. *WHEW* Did you get that?

I have more than 10 large bookshelves in my home...three of them in my office alone. They are filled with all types of books but the majority of them are business and wedding related.

The business related books are useful to me in many ways. Mostly because although I went to school for accounting and business administration...and I've spent more than 20 years in corporate america living in the business world day-to-day, I still need to educate myself on the latest and greatest.

They are also useful because I can refer to them in my current day-to-day operations. In the course of a week, I may pull out several books from the shelf and read key sections for inspiration or direction. My wedding related books? They are eye candy for me! I love pouring over some of the most sought after event producers and designers books for inspiration and guidance. I also read them to study the techniques and creative talent of other planners...not to copy them but to learn from them.

Have you read about how Michelle Rago produces an event? Or how Diann Valentine coordinates an army of workers to produce her event masterpieces? Get their books...you may not want to produce weddings on the same scale as they do, but go beyond the "ohs and ahs" of the pictures in their books and read about how they approach event planning and design and learn from them.

Here are some of the business books I'm reading now:

The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It
by Michael E. Gerber

Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap and Others Don't
by Jim Collins - One my third go round with this one!

The 100 Best Business Books of All Time: What They Say, Why They Matter and How They Can Help You
by Jack Covert

Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us
by Seth Godin - A nice, fast read!

Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant
by W. Chan Kim

What's on your nightstand?

Aspire to Plan!

2 comments:

calisara said...

Great reading post! Will have to check some of them out. I just finished Women, Work and the Art of Savoir Faire by Mireille Guiliano, read it every night. Had such inspiring conversations with my friends and family about life and work. Ways to slow down, take charge and live the life you want to live. Balanced living combined with personal success. Loved it!!

Unknown said...

I'll have to check that book out, Sara! We all certainly need balance. It's a hot topic right now with the struggling economy and all.

I've been such a bookworm since I was a little girl, I LOVE reading for any reason! I read the map when hubby and I are on road trips! Crazy!

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Please help us provide you with the best content possible by leaving us some awesome comments!!